Thursday, April 22, 2010

Time out Thursday: A Call for Home Remedies

I'm dying over here, ladies. The sinus pressure in my head is so overwhelming that it kept me awake for part of the night last night. I've had a sore throat for about a week now. And it's not a horrible sore throat, it's more annoying than anything. I can still easily swallow and talk (though I sound very nasally), though there's some constant "pressure," if you will. . So I don't think it's strep throat. That was my first inclination when the sore throat stuck around, but I've had strep before and this does not feel like a strep-like sore throat. My nose is stuffy and runny off and on and I've got a very productive cough to boot. I just feel like crap - and I'm miserable. I haven't had a fever, so that makes me feel better.

What kills me is that I have an AMAZING immune system, but I got my butt kicked by illnesses this winter. My immune system is literally the best ever. Every year my husband gets some stomach bug for about 48 hours. From the time we were dating up until now (almost 6 years), I have NEVER, EVER gotten it. I usually get one or two colds a year with the change of the seasons, but this year has been awful. We all got the flu in October (thanks to some very inconsiderate people at school, which is a rant for another day) which is what started it. I haven't had the flu since I was like 12! There must have been something horrible in the new strains this year. And then literally 2 days after I felt better, I started with another sore throat and had another cold that stuck around for like 2 weeks. I think I felt horrible for like a month solid. And I've had another 3 or 4 colds since then. I know having the flu weakens your immune system, but geeze!

What kills me even more is what my husband said to me yesterday. He just started getting sore throat on Tuesday.

"You know what confuses me? How I always seem to get sicker than you do," he said.

Pretty shocked, I retorted, "No, that's not true. I just deal with it better than you do." You big baby, I thought to myself.

"No, I don't think that's the case. You don't ever complain about it like I do. I get completely miserable and dou always have the energy to just keep going. You don't get sick like I do."

"Ummm, you want to rethink that one? I don't have a choice - I still have responsibilities to deal with."

He walked away muttering something under his breath. I was a little furious though. I don't get as sick? Ummm, no. I just don't get to sit around whining about how crappy I feel. I still have a house to clean, and a little boy and grown man to look after! I don't get days off. *Sigh*

Anyway, my real point is to ask for any home remedies that help you feel better when you're under the weather. Are there any miracle medicines you've come across? I'm willing to try just about anything! And is there anything you do to strengthen your immune system? Herbs, vitamins, supplements, anything? Thanks!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from any readers out there. Please feel free to share any advice or give me any suggestions for future posts. However, please remember that this is not a place for debate or rudeness. I do moderate all comments. Anything questionable or inappropriate will not be published.